In the fall of 1876, parishioners erected a presbytery on the site of the Saint-Patrice chapel, then located at the southwest corner of Pearl (Saint-Patrice) and Merry Nord streets. The total construction cost was $552.
In 1890, after a meeting held by the freeholders, it was decided to build a new presbytery neat the future Saint-Patrice church. This time, the church and presbytery would be erected at the northwest corner of Pearl (Saint-Patrice) and Merry Nord. An amouth of $4000 is granted for the construction of the presbytery. A. Wallace and his partner David Pépin built it in 1891. In 1917, a third floor was added to the presbytery to offer more space.
On a cold winter day in 1948, the presbytery was the prey of the flames. The building was rebuilt and expanded in June of the same year for $62,315.
In 2004, the parish priest no longer lives in the presbytery. The Ursulines of the Convent of Stanstead now occupy the space. They will stay there for about ten years.
In 2016, the wind turns again. Several ideas are on the table to ensure the perpetuation of the presbytery St-Patrice following the departure of the Ursulines. The Auberge jeunesse Magog-Orford is born. As the youth hostel project ensures the financial viability of the building, integrates into the community and preserves the built heritage, it is the one that is retained.
Today, Auberge jeunesse Magog-Orford is a non-profit organization that aims to provide budget accommodation for travelers and workers. The hostel has 16 rooms, including dorms, family rooms and private rooms. Visitors also have access to a renovated kitchen, a dining room, a lounge area, a living room, a laundry room and several bathrooms.
Located in the heart of the city of Magog, the hostel is the ideal place to discover the region. It is close to all services and its charm of previous years offers comfort at any time of the year.
*** Société d'histoire de Magog provide the historical information ***